Saturday, March 20, 2010

PSA on Spring and pups

HAPPY SPRING Blog buddies - but make sure your pawrents know about the dangers spring can bring to us little guys!....and you big guys too!

Bijou - I know your mommy loves to work in the yard and I'm sure she's totally aware of all of this - but just in case. And TANK - you be very careful as you walk around that arboretum.

With the coming of spring and summer, people's thoughts turn towards working in the yard and garden. As the weather improves and people spend more time outside the possibility of poisoning their pet increases.

The most commonly used lawn care products are of fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and fungicides. When applied according to package instructions or by a qualified lawn care service most of these products are not harmful. Pets are primarily poisoned by contact with concentrated products. This may occur from inappropriate storage, failure to read package instructions, or by intentionally using more product than needed. Dogs are especially good at finding poorly stored containers, chewing them up and drinking the contents. Pet owners should be especially vigilant when using insecticides as these tend to have a higher degree of toxicity.

Holidays are often times that gifts are given. For some, flowers do not last long enough and a plant is a better, and longer lasting, gift. But if your family includes pets, you may want to learn which plants are safe and which to avoid.

Springtime holidays are often associated with bulb plants and ingestion of the bulbs causes the most severe illness. Summer holidays are associated with plants. Here are some of the more common spring and summer holiday plants and information on their toxicity.

Tulip (Tulip spp.). Ingestion can result in intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, drooling and lack of appetite.

Hyacinth (Hyacinthus oreintalis). Ingestion can result in intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression and tremors.

If you are getting ready to mulch your spring garden, carefully select a pet-safe mulch. Most types of mulch are relatively safe, however, a new type of mulch made out of cocoa bean hulls is becoming more popular and can be dangerous.

Cocoa bean mulch is a deep brown color with a lovely aroma making it attractive. However, when ingested, it can cause symptoms of chocolate toxicity. If you have a dog that likes to "eat" mulch – you may want to stick with basic hardwood mulch.

For more information on mulch toxicity, please read Cocoa Mulch Toxicity.



  1. Thanks for your concern about my well being Checkers. I will be cautious as I make my rounds at the arboretum. I thought that spring had sprung here too, but Mother Nature decided to play a cruel joke. What's her problem anyway?!

  2. Yes, Checkers, as Tank told you, we have snow and it is still snowing. We were supposed to have new mulch spread next week but we sure will need quite the warmup for that to happen. Meanwhile, your post is filled with great reminders for pet owners. Thanks.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

  3. Furry well pawed Checkers!

    We appreciate woo sharing this infurmation!

    Happy Spring!

    Khyra & Khousin Merdie

  4. Very good heads-up for everyone! Thank you!

  5. Thanks for all that information Checkers!

    Mom spread over 20 bags of horse manure yesterday on her spring beds - but I wouldn't go near the stuff! She actually says its a good healthy smell and that her plants love it! One of the benefits of the NSLM and his sister riding every week is that we can gets unlimited amounts of horse manure!

    take care
    Clive and the NSLM

  6. Thank you Checkers for letting is know to be extra careful

  7. w00fs, thanks for reminding us, Checkers....the hoomans forgit a lot..

    b safe,